Tuesday, April 9, 2013

As we approach summer ....

or at least we hope we're approaching spring and summer - it's been a looong winter....

Just a reminder to everyone out there to use sunscreen - everyday!

I've been experimenting with a few but don't want to advertise any of them here.

I seem to be hearing more and more in the media that, aside from concerns about skin cancer,  if you want to look younger longer, wear sunscreen everyday - even on days when it's cloudy.

I won't rant and rave about the poor choices we as Canadians have (loaded with oxybenzone) because the good stuff is very expensive and truth be told, I think that even a sunscreen with oxybenzone in it is better than nothing.

Over the past 9 months or so, I've had several more spots blasted with liquid nitrogen to remove them before they get a chance to turn cancerous. The good thing is that I can recognize some of them now and get on them right away.  This of course wasn't the best news, especially after going through the Efudex treatment but my Dr. said that because skin damage is cumulative, it can take months or years for existing damage to become noticeable to the naked eye.

I suspect another round of Efudex is in my future, but I'll deal with it when the time comes.

The good thing is that I was recently told by a Dr. who deals with skin everyday that she never would have guessed I was 50. Thanks Efudex! ;-)

Final note for today: if you have access to preventative health care and or insurance, especially if you are fair skinned or have plenty of moles - ask your Dr. to refer to you a Dermatologist that can do a skin map to keep an eye on areas of concern, and/or nip things in the bud. Skin cancer and pre-cancers are very treatable if caught early. The sooner the better, with less invasive methods of treatment involved.










3 comments:

  1. Hello Dale,
    I just started Efudex treatment on Tuesday night- this is Sunday morning and so far very little reaction. I came across your blog while searching for info on " lack of reaction after 5 days..." And now feel a bit silly for being concerned by that :-)
    You're writing is entertaining and, although you went through Hell- or a reasonable facsimile thereof- you kept your sense of humor. Thank you for letting me and others know what to expect.
    I hope my results are as great as yours have been; looking a few years younger would be awesome ;)
    I teach at a university so the beginning of summer would have been a much better time to start this ( thanks doc, for your consideration), but u was going through the agony of having a squamous cell carcinoma removed from my leg. That's really sexy BTW.
    Have a good Sunday and keep. blogging!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for writing Linda and you're most welcome! Yes, it may take a few days for things to start rocking but I'm sure you'll see a reaction start in the next few days.

    I'm not so sure I'd want to be going through treatment in the summer. I still remember how the low autumn sun felt on my raw skin. Ugh!

    Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just stumbled upon your site. I'm on day 18. I seriously was trying not to laugh too much (pain) with your description of the blow torch and fire ants picnic. You totally put into words how it feels. Worst part is I haven't had reactions where I thought I would but have where I didn't. It would be nice if the doctors would explain better before you start what to expect. Not a great time when your married to a guy that loves to go for motorcycle rides. The thought of putting on my helmet could make me cry. :)

    ReplyDelete